Diagnosis: Antrum cancer - YT

A 39-year-old man experienced gastric pain in 1969. Following x-ray examinations, he was diagnosed as having duodenum ulcer, and he was started on an ulcer regimen.

The patient experienced sharp abdominal pain in March 1974, and presented to Capa Medical Faculty of Istanbul University. After evaluation of the old and new radiographs, and his present symptoms, surgery was recommended. The surgery was performed on 8 March 1974 at Surgical Clinic of Istanbul Medical Faculty (SCIMF) of the same university. The laparotomy revealed a tumoral mass in the antrum, ascites in the abdomen, and he was diagnosed as having antrum cancer ( Appendix YT1 ). The patient was discharged on 18 March 1974.

When the patient experienced an abundant gastric hemorrhage on 12 April 1974, he was taken to Hayarpasa Numune Hospital (HNH). Although coagulative treatment was applied, and blood was transfused continuously, no success was achieved in stopping the hemorrhage. Later, after reading the medical report of the patient issued at SCIMF, HNH physicians gave the treatment up, and stated that there was nothing that could be done.

Upon the request of the patient's relatives, Dr. Ozel visited the patient at HNH. He was in a very poor medical condition. He was very skinny. There was ascites in the abdomen, arterial pressure was 60/40 mm Hg, the body temperature was 36.1o and the pulse was filiform. The patient was tested with NOI at the hospital on 15 April 1974; 0.3cc dose of NOI caused his body temperature to rise to 37.5o , and the patient was started regular N.O. treatment with a flat dose of 0.3cc of NOI to be given daily, 6 days per week. He was also recommended to have 3x0.5cc dose of NOO per day as adjuvant to NOI.

On 18 April 1974 the patient was discharged from HNH to spend his remaining days at home. While receiving NO treatment, he had an x-ray taken on 20 June 1974 that demonstrated antrum cancer ( Appendix YT2 ).

Since the patient was a government employee, he had to present to HNH for an examination. The Health Council of the hospital reported on 27 August 1974 the patient's diagnosis as "scirrhus annular cancer in gastric antrum, curvature minor" ( Appendix YT3 ).

The patient's regular NO treatment with 0.3cc dose of NOI continued until 3 September 1974, when no more rise in fever occurred after NOI injections. He was then placed on a maintenance regimen with 0.4cc dose of NOI given every two days until January 1, 1975, and then 0.4cc dose of NOI given once a week for another six months. He continued to receive NOO as adjuvant to NOI.

The patient underwent another medical examination in April 1975 at HNH. Health Council report issued on 18 April 1975 stated that there was no sign of any malignancy, that there was probably a mistake in the previous reports of SCIMF, and their own, that the patient was in excellent health condition, and the patient was readmitted to his work ( Appendix YT4 ).

The patient had a follow up x-ray taken on 23 January 1985; there was no sign of any antrum cancer ( Appendix YT5 ).

As in 2007, the patient has been in remission.